Sunday, August 28, 2011

So much water. So little electricity.

So I had initially wanted to go to sleep early tonight, but since as I sit in my room, it feels like the surface of the sun, sleeping is no longer an option.  So let's discuss the happenings since my last post: there was a hurricane.  Yes, that's right.  In the lovely, landlocked state of Pennsylvania, we had a hurricane.  Hurricane Irene went barreling up the coast and hit everything in its path with some force.  So, fortunately, my house was spared for the most part, a tiny bit of water in the basement and the porch, but nothing to be too upset about.  Power was out til about 4 pm today, but also, not nearly as bad as a lot of people had it.  The neighbors had a tree fall on their house (the second one in 8 months), and somehow incurred no real substantial damage to the house, not even a broken window (also fortunately for the second time in 8 months).

The Outer Banks, which I would deem my favorite place in the world, was not spared so kindly.  Duck, where I frequent, has no access in or out of the town.  Cape Hatteras, which is absolutely stunning in a way I cannot describe, suffered severely.  Where the sun should be shining on the road, there now is no road.  Irene caused the ocean to meet the sound, forming a new inlet, which is awe-striking to me to see what nature is really capable of.

For me though, Hurricane Irene consisted of shopping and going out to lunch during the day and then just hanging in for a nice relaxed night...with power where I was, fortunately.  Other than the hurricane, there's not much to report for myself.  I baked a blueberry pie for the first time and that actually was something to be proud of in my opinion.  Also, all my plans for cleaning and getting stuff together today came to a screeching halt without the electricity.  Not that I couldn't get anything done, but for some reason, I lost all motivation.  Til another day, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment