Friday, August 19, 2011

Small Victories

That wonderful feeling of waking up on my own accord and taking my time to get ready in the morning?  Gone.  Today, I woke up to an alarm, running late from the moment I opened my eyes.  This may actually be resulting from the fact, that at 3 AM, I was standing outside in the rain last night, watching fire fighters put out a fire that engulfed a neighbor's house that had been struck by lightening.  I could see most of what was going on from inside, but not everything and I was up by that point anyways.  It made sense to go down and see what was happening at the time.  Luckily everyone in the fire was alright, though, obviously, the same could not be said for the neighbor's house.  It's hard to believe with a storm so bad, that it could be so pretty outside now.  Regardless, I'm now sitting here, working away with my morning coffee.

Now, back to my most recent accomplishment (yes, what you're about to read is an accomplishment in my eyes).  I'm starting to believe it really is the small things in life that matter.  While attempting to battle my never ending struggle with clutter and disorganization, I made a list of all the things I've been meaning to do for the past year and am now attempting to finish all items on the list.  Last night was my first crack at this new battle plan and I think it went rather well.  I decided to start with a more modest goal and I will eventually work up to the more daunting tasks.  Last night, I cleaned out and organized my desk in my office.  My filing cabinet actually holds files now.  And there is even a filing system in place now to boot (which no longer includes bank statements from 2004 - a treasure I discovered last night).  The desk surface is no longer home to a stack of sweatshirts.  The daily calendar is up to date.  This may sound small to some, but for me, that's one entire space that I now have a complete handle on and that's big for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment