Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fell into Fall

Spoiler Alert: This posting is laden with links.  Have fun clicking away.  It's a nice change from feeding the fish.  There's also a few pictures for good measure.

Another weekend has come and gone and now it is my duty to update you about it.  This one was especially nice since I shockingly enough didn't have any work to be done.   Friday night, I was fortunate enough to go out downtown.  The night started off at Triumph Brewery where there were a few awesome live acts for the evening and most importantly...PUMPKIN ALE.  Folks, this is always a win. Always. After this we went out dancing at National Mechanics.  This bar, was not wholly my scene, but it had decent music and of course I was with my lovely friends, so it wasn't a total wash.  I could, however, have done without being accosted (see random ass smacking multiple times while dancing).

Saturday was also a lovely day.  This fall has been awesome as far as I'm concerned.  Life has been great since September.  Saturday in an attempt to be a good person, I remained sober til 7:30 pm.  The afternoon started with a visit with my grandfather and after that, I had a lovely afternoon date at the Franklin Institute to see their Mummies of the World exhibit.  In all of my dorkiness, mummies are really interesting to me and this exhibit I thought was especially interesting since they were not all exclusively Egyptian mummies, since they seemed to have dominated that field back in the day.  In addition to that, it's pretty amazing if you take a step back and realize you're looking at a person that is over 6,000 years old.  It's amazing if you ask me, that a "primitive culture" could perfect the science of mummification to preserve something for that sort of time span. Another fun aspect of this all for me is that I've actually had to study most of the cultures that practiced this art, so it's not all foreign to me, which is just nice.  Anyway, enough about how I allowed my geek flag to fly this weekend.

Following up my science date, I went out for a friend's birthday.  Dinner was a lot of fun at The Great American Pub because as I earlier mentioned, it involved some form of pumpkin, so I was an easy sell.  What happened after dinner, I cannot fully explain without some graphics, which will be shown below. When we first arrived, we went upstairs to where the main bar area was.  Nothing wrong yet. After a quick look-over, there is one apparent thing.  This bar has an under-the-sea themed beer pong table in it.  Odd, yes.  Enticing...even more so.  So naturally, I played a game on the table and won.  My college self was quite proud of this.   The next thing to happen, I could never be fully prepared for.  The DJ for whatever reason, opted to play all dance and rap from the turn of the century.  My grade school self was pretty pumped for this.  It's not everyday you go out in 2011, and hear sweet jams by artists such as DMX, Ice Cube, Juvenile, and Eve.  Despite the fact I am a grown woman, hearing "Back That Azz Up" will always make me smile.

Sunday, I decided to take a more domestic route towards life...once I finally woke up from my long night of pre-teen musical bliss.  I managed to find a local estate sale to wander around in first.  This produced a $1 vinyl of Billy Idol's...Vital Idol, which was a good omen to start off the day with(at 1 pm sadly).  Following this, I managed to buy new curtains and then decorated the inside of the house for Halloween.  What else do you do of you randomly have more than $500 worth of Halloween decorations laying around? Put them up.  Thanks to Department 56, I now have a lovely Halloween window display, which is shown below.  This just put me in a good mood.  That simple.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment