Friday, October 7, 2011

Complete and Utter Distraction

So, as I sit here pretending to be a productive human, all I really want to do is just surf the web. Not for anything normal for a 24-year old woman, though.  I want to look at antiques.  There are two particular collections, which I am obsessed with, however.  Both are something I've been around my entire life so neither is new to me.  The first oddly enough is an old Art Deco pattern.  The bathroom I used in the house I grew up with had 6 of these tile that went around the perimeter of the bathroom as a trim.  They always fascinated me as  child because the 6 tile were not the same.  Instead, the tiles contained the two main characters and told the story of their courtship.  Yes, that's right...courtship.  The house I grew up in is creeping towards being 100 years old and tiles were original to the house. A courtship is exactly what happened back then.

Now, the reason these tiles are an obsession now is because this past summer, my mother had the bathroom in that house remodeled and I panicked.   Why? Because the tiles were getting ripped out and I couldn't allow these 6 little gems to be destroyed.  So, I did the only logical thing a person in t he construction industry would do.  I had the plumber salvage those tile.  Luckily, we hired a plumber as quirky as I am and he was more than willing to ever so carefully remove those 6 tile(which were attached to the wall with 4 inches of cement since my house was apparently built to withstand a bomb) so that they remained in tact.  In addition to this, after a bit of research, my mother and I came to find they were actually a kitchen tile pattern and there is dishware out there that matches. I would love to have this collection. I'll post of a picture of it eventually. It really is charming.

The second obsession of the day is Wedgwood.  This is another item of my childhood that I still love.  My mom has an expansive collection of it.  She's been collecting this for longer than I've been alive, so that's a long time.  I can even remember as a little kid that there were 2 lids from boxes that had broken that I used to play with.  It was all downhill from there.  Now as it stands, I usually purchase a new Christmas ornament or 2 for my mom every year as well as a couple odds and ends pieces here and there from antique shops.  I have to admit, it's more exciting to buy the antique shop pieces though, since those are the pieces that are no longer being made.  Jasper Ware is just pretty to put it simply and I wish I had more money to invest in it.  Also as an aside, if anyone has an extra $10,000 plus tax and shipping...I'd appreciate two of these:

No comments:

Post a Comment