Thursday, February 16, 2012

I've got a fever and the only cure is more.....free stuff

Bet you all were expecting me to say cowbell? Well, I didn't.   Today's lesson is about surviving on a budget.  I do it everyday and it's a real challenge at times.  I'll admit it.  I definitely have an affinity for the finer things in life...and lots of them at that.  I had a major spending problem for awhile there.  But I have recently (thanks to my student loans) learned how to curb my compulsion to buy buy buy.  Whoever called a consumer driven life meaningless should let loose with me for a day with an unbridled budget.  I bet I could get them to realize the joy there is to be found in being a consumer.  However, this is no longer me.  I simply cannot afford it.  So to satisfy my cravings for new and interesting/lovely things, I have gotten creative.

This means, I have become familiar with the free sample.  Now, I know you're probably thinking that I just collect a lot of small packages of things I'll never use like denture glue and toddler diapers, but this isn't true.  There's actually a lot of cool free trials on stuff that is actually nice and useful out there.  And an added bonus, if it is something you like, nine times out of ten, the trial comes with a coupon for a larger size.

I've also learned two other pretty snazzy tricks.  The first one is to sign up for product testing sites.  I've come to enjoy this actually.  You can register with certain website and you will be allowed to do free product trials as long as you review/promote the product.  Awesome, right? I think it's a pretty sweet deal.  Influenster is my favorite of these sites.  The second way you can to score some sweet items is entering contests/drawings. There's a lot of stuff out there you can win with minimal work and maybe even just some luck. Regardless, the lesson to be learned here is that life goes on when you're on a budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment